Monday, April 27, 2009

Sailboat


Life has a way of throwing you over a cliff edge without so much as a by-your-leave.  One knows, perhaps the moment you are first hurled in mid-air, that God is waiting there, to catch you, but fear still tingles around you like wisps of cold, moist cloud.


It feels a little that way now, after surviving a pre-performance week populated by coughs and sore throats and headaches, fighting my way through spiritual battles, wondering what else could go wrong, when suddenly, with a BOOM! my little brother suffers a fall, and must be rushed to the hospital to have stitches in his sweet, little, five year old chin.

He is alright, now, exhilarated by his sudden fame, a little hero in band-aids and stickers.


But it makes me think, makes me wonder.  It makes me hold out my hand, remembering the one who put me here, asking his guidance, holding onto his wisdom will all the power I can muster.  It makes me, suddenly, inspired....

I don't want to be a steamboat
Pushing over life's sea
All on my own energy....

Blowing smoke...

I don't want to be a galley
Turning those I love to slaves
To make my life ride the waves....

Churning pain...

I don't want to ride the tide
A restless, forgotten, stone
Smoothed beneath the foam....

Emotionless...

I want to be a sailboat
Carried by a windy hand
Led from torrent to the sand....

Belonging...


With all my heart,

Emma

P.S.  For those who watched our recent short films, submitted to the christianfilmakers.org  36 hour contest,  The Boy With $100 was placed 11th, and My Favorite was placed 27th, out of 66 entries.

2 comments:

Elissa said...

That was beautiful Emma! Oh I'm so sorry for your dear little brother! I'm glad he's not seriously hurt though!!
Thanks for sharing with us!
~Elissa

Jolie said...

Oh my goodness--poor little Matthew! =( Hospital visits are never fun. *sniff*
But I'm sooo glad he's alright. ;)
Emma did you write that poem? It's really good...I love it. =D
By the way, I was following the 36-hr video contest...and I really think ya'll should have placed higher. The Boy With $100 should have at least placed top ten...but I'm thinking more like top five. ;) Anyway...you did really well, regardless. =) I could watch those over and over...