Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A Guessing Game

I was reading on a friend's blog today and was inspired to do the same thing she did. I'm going to pick ten of my favorite movies and post a quote from each of them, giving all of you the opportunity to guess their origin. Sound fun? Here goes....

#1. "I don't know what dark plan lies within you. Nor do I know by what design we were asked to live without each other these 16 years. But God has offered us a new beginning... "
"God?"
"Don't slap His hand away."
"Can I never escape Him?"
"No, He is in everything. "

#2. "Jeff, you know if someone came in here, they wouldn't believe what they'd see? You and me with long faces plunged into despair because we find out a man didn't kill his wife. We're two of the most frightening ghouls I've ever known. "----Rear Window --guessed by Clare

#3. "As long as you are alive you can do some good. Do whatever you can to stay alive, no matter what."

#4. "I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something."---- The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers-- guessed by Clare

#5. "So this is your opinion of me. Thank you for explaining so fully. Perhaps these offences might have been overlooked had not your pride been hurt by my honesty...---- Pride and Prejudice 2005-- guessed by Abby

#6. "Smithy, don't ask me, please. I might take you up on it. I'm just that shameless. I've run after you from the very beginning; you know I have. I've never let you out of my sight since I first saw you in that little shop. "

#7. "Did I say an engagement was an elephant ma'am? "---- Wives and Daughters-- guessed by Emily

#8. "I'm tired."
" What? After a nice refreshing sleep in the green wood? "
" I pulled seven acorns out of my ribs. "
" Lovely, fresh air..."
" My teeth ache with chattering. "
"Nightingales singing... "
"An owl hooting in my ear. "
" Hooting? He was singing you to sleep!"
--The Adventures of Robin Hood--guessed by Julia Marie

# 9. "Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you: as Albert Mondego, the man!" ----The Count of Monte Cristo--guessed by Abby

#10. "Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories... And we've already missed the spring! "----An Affair to Remember--guessed by Emily

#11. "Well, I can't imagine, ma'am - if I may say so - any pleasanter journey, ma'am, than walking through life with you beside me, ma'am." and then later..... one of my favorites.... "Walking through life with you, ma'am, has been a very gracious thing."


There are 11 because two of the quotes are from the same movie. To guess, post a comment. If you get it right I'll post your name and mark out the quote.


Guess hard!!!

Emma

P.S. Thank you Emily, for the inspiration!!:)

9 comments:

emme said...

I'm tired, so bear with me...☺

#7 Wives and Daughters

#10 An Affair to Remember
(or Sleepless in Seattle ☺)

Clare said...

#2 is Rear Window.

#4 is Lord of the Rings... The Two Towers, I think?

---Clare

Anonymous said...

#5 is Pride and Prejudice! <3

#6...I know this one, I do, only I can't think of the movie title! I just watched it a little while ago, and absolutely loved it. Aargh. Now it's going to bother me until I remember. :)

By the way, I'm Abby from the S&S board. You probably won't recognize me; I'm not really that active there. I lurk a lot. ^_^

Emma Pearl said...

Thanks for commenting, Abby! What is your username on the S&S board?

Ooh!! Do guess #6. I absolutely love this movie. It is sooo sweet and heartbreaking.:)

Emma

Anonymous said...

I'm just "Abby" over there. Clever, yes? *laughs* I used to be "YankeeBelle" but that was years and years ago.

I'm thinking, I'm thinking! *lol* In fact, I've "thunked" so hard that I remembered #9 - that's Count of Monte Cristo, isn't it? I love that movie, both the older one and the newer one. :)

Julia Marie said...

#8 is from "The Adventures of Robin Hood" with Errol & Olivia - my favorite version! :)

Emma Pearl said...

Yeah for #8!!! Whoopee!! I love this movie!:)

Emma

Anonymous said...

I am quite sure #3 is from 'I Am David' -- yes? I do love that movie!

Emma and Johannah, I don't know if you would remember me from SAICFF last fall, but it was such a pleasure to meet you there! Perhaps, living in the same state, we will run into each other again. :)

How nice to see you in the blogosphere! ;) (I found you via the comment section of Kess's blog.)

God bless!
Kristin Personius

SisterlyLove said...

Is #11 African Queen?
-Marguerite